Directions in MIMO systems

From: Matthias Heller <heller@lfm.mw.tu-muenchen.de>
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 12:43:04 CET

Dear Mr. Skogestad,

my name is Matthias Heller and I'm research assistant and supervisor for
mechanics, flight dynamics and flight control at the Technical
University of Munich.

>From a collegue of Linkoepings University (Sweden) we got a reference on
your book 'Multivariable Feedback Control' and now we are using it
extensively to get an intruduction to robust control techniques. I
think it is an excellent book and I will recommend it to our students
for learning multivariable control.

Since as yet, we didn't perform lectures on robust/multivariable flight
control (mainly we teached the well-know SISO approachs, see McRuer,
...) at our university and in our research we started to introduce
robust techniques only for a few years.
So, we as aircraft and not mainly control engineers are a kind of
beginners in robust control (and primary users of methods) and hope to
find more basic understanding from your book.

Therefore, I would like to give you some comments/questions:

1.) On page 78, MIMO bandwidth, you call the direction associated with
sigma_max(S) the worst case or low gain direction. On page 74 you call
the same direction 'high gain direction'. Similary, on page 78 you call
the direction associated with sigma_min(S) the best case or high gain
direction, and on page 74 this direction is called low gain direction!
Is this a misunderstanding from me or ?

2.) Directions of MIMO-Systems

You introduce input and output directions in form of input/output
singular vectors
(Chapter 3) and in chapter 4 you introduce pole & zero directions.

We got a little bit confused because in several literature we found
several, non-explained definitions of directions!

For example, in Stevens/Lewis: Aircraft Control and Simulation is given:

 C*vi = Output direction where where vi = right eigenvector for
eigenvalue lambda_i, C= measurement matrix

and additionally, when the closed loop state space equations under
output feedback are

x' = (A-BKC)x + B*r, r= reference signal

they call z_i = KC*vi the Input directions where K=Controller Matrix and
vi =
right eigenvector for eigenvalue Lambda_i, C= measurement matrix.

The definition of output direction is the same as the pole output
direction in your book (I believe) but the input direction makes us a
little bit confused.

And otherwise in some texts

wi'*B = input direction where wi=left eigenvector, B= Input Matrix which
is in your book called: pole Input direction.

and last but not least: r_i = wi'*B*K = is called output direction in
some texts, where wi=left eigenvector for Lambda_i,
B = Input Matrix.

So we are confused about directions and would like to ask you:
Is there any literature where the definition of directions is detailed
explained? In your reference of Chapter 4: Kailath, we didn't found
information about!
Whats the importance of this several directions defined by several
texts!

We would be very pleased for a short answer and wish your and your staff

 a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

best regards

Matthias Heller

and the rest of our institute!

--
DIPL.-ING. MATTHIAS HELLER
LEHRSTUHL FUER FLUGMECHANIK UND FLUGREGELUNG