RE: scaling

From: Postlethwaite, Prof I. <ixp@leicester.ac.uk>
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 18:01:38 CEST

Dear Ali

Sorry about the delay in replying.

At the outset we decided from knowledge of the problem that a variation in
thrust of 7.5 % of maximum thrust was of equal importance to a 5% variation
in surge margin, etc. This is therefore an apriori decision that an engineer
familiar with the problem would have to make.

The outputs are therefore scaled so that a unit variation in the output
corresponds to these changes.

Let y be the thrust output, and let M be the maximum thrust. Then y is
scaled by 100/(7.5M). Note that if the scaled output y*100/(7.5M) is equal
to 1 then y is equal to 7.5M/100 ie 7.5% of M as required.

Similarly for the other outputs.

Hope this is clear

Regards

Ian Postlethwaite