Getting to Trondheim and the Department of Chemical Engineering
Getting to Trondheim
Trondheim is located in the middle of Norway about 500 km north of
the capital Oslo.
The most common way to get to Trondheim is via Oslo by plane (50 min).
There are about 20 flights in each direction each day (!).
Carriers are SAS (SK) and Norwegian (DY).
Widerøe/SAS also operates two daily direct flights to and
from Copenhagen, KLM operates three daily flights to Amsterdam,
Norwegian one daily flight to London/Gatwick, and there are also direct flights to Stockholm.
There are also several daily trains from Oslo,
but the travel time is more than 7 hours. The driving time from Oslo
is also about 7 hours.
How to get from the airport to downtown Trondheim
The airport is located about 30 km north of Trondheim.
There is a bus service to Trondheim for each arriving flight which takes
you the city center and the hotels (and a return service from Trondheim every 15 min).
The bus ("Flybussen", www.flybussen.no) leaves directly outside where you pick up
the luggage. The cost is about NOK 100 (about NOK 150 return).
The driver will inform you about the location of your hotel (ask him).
There is also another airport bus (Vaernes-ekspressen, www.vaernesexpressen.no) that brings you directly to the NTNU campus (about every 30 min).
We do NOT recommend that you take a regular taxi (with a V on its roof)
from the airport, unless you are two people or more. The reason is
that the fare is very
high (up to NOK 800). However, you may try to negotiate a better price
- in particular if you find a taxi with a U (not V) on the roof.
Alternatively, you may prebook a shared taxi by calling
+47-7350 5006 or +47-7350 5073 . The cost is about NOK 350
and the taxi will then be waiting for you outside
the terminal (it will have an U (NOT V!!) on its roof).
However, the taxi alternative is really only recommended if you
are going somewhere outside downtown (e.g. directly to the
How to get from downtown Trondheim to the campus
The "Gløshaugen" campus is about 2 km south of the downtown Trondheim.
It takes about 20-25 minutes to walk up there.
A taxi costs about 100 kr. Ask for "Kjemiblokk 5" if you are visiting
Bus no. 5 goes from the city centre to the Gløshaugen campus every 10 min.
Cost: NOK 25 (exact change appreciated).
Some hotels in Trondheim
There are many hotels in Trondheim, but none directly on the University
campus. Some possibilities in different
price ranges are (all located in the center of Trondheim).
The closest hotel to the university is the following (about half distance compared to the ones above):
- Rica Nidelven Hotell. NOK 1015 per night (UH-avtale as of May 2011)
Ph. +47-7356-8000, (fax 8001)
- Britannia Hotel. NOK 1070 per night single room, 1270 double (UH-avtale; nov.09)
- Rica Travel Hotell, Hell Værnes (at airport, 30 km north), NOK 830 per night double economy room (UH-avtale)
- Quality Hotel Augustin. NOK 927 per night, 1051 double (UH-avtale).
Ph. +47-7354-7000, Fax. +47-7354-7001
- Clarion Grand Olav. NOK 1208 per night, 1346 double (UH-avtale)
Ph. +47-7380-8080 (fax 8081)
- Gildevangen. NOK 970 per night (UH-avtale)
- Pensjonat Jarlen. NOK 520 per night, 650 double. (breakfast not included, but it is
located next to Hotel Prinsen where you may have breakfast)
Ph. +47-7351-3218, Fax. +47-7352-8080
- City Living Schøller Hotel. About 690 NOK. No breakfast. ph. +47 73870800
All rates include breakfast.
- Elgeseter Hotel. NOK 745 per night, 885 double, 595 for single without own bath (NTNU-avtale). Address: Tormodsgate 3. ph. +47 7382 0330