Block specification for mu-calculations

From: Sigurd Skogestad <skoge@chemeng.ntnu.no>
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 08:41:36 CET

Dear Antonius Knegt,

Thank you for your email and nice comments about our book.
The block specification blk = [1 1; 1 1; 2 2] indicates that the 2x2 input uncertainty block is treated as two independent 1x1 blocks, i.e. we have
that the actual inputs to the plant are
        u1' = (1+di1) u1
        u2' = (1+di2) u2
where u is the output from the controller. The worst case for this plant  is approximately to have di1 = - di2 (= 0.2).
If you use [2 0] for the block specification then this means that you have repeated blocks corresponding to di1 = di2.
This is a much simpler (more restrictive) uncertainty and explains why your mu-values are much lower.
Treating the input uncertainty as full block uncertainty (which is less realistic physically, but simpler mathematically) is obtained with the block
specification [2 2].

It is not possible to get mu much below 1 for this example, so if you got mu down to 0.6 you have done something wrong..
I am sending a copy of this email to some of my students. Maybe they can hive you a hint.

Good luck with your work.

Best regards,
Sigurd Skogestad